This week includes my favorite day of the year, so I wanted to make my favorite dessert ever. There is nothing I would rather have for dessert than strawberry shortcake. It is basically the confluence of all of my favorite foods and flavors.
While strawberry shortcake can take many different incarnations, my favorite version is a biscuit, sliced strawberries, and some home made whipped cream. This is always my preference over an actual birthday cake.
I know my mom usually makes a buttermilk biscuit recipe for the biscuits (or “shortcake”), but I decided to try Martha’s Baking Powder Biscuits this time around.
Baking Powder Biscuits
Yields 8-10 biscuits depending on size from Martha
- 4 cups AP flour
- 2 Tbs baking powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks) chilled and cut into small pieces
- 2 cups heavy cream
- sanding sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Combine 2 cups or flour with the rest of the dry ingredients. Mix in butter so the mixture has small “pebbles” of butter. Use a blender, food processor, or hand mixer.
- Add the rest of flour and mix until uniform.
- Fold in cream gently until just combined.
- Turn dough out and pat down to about an inch high. Use a cookie cutter or slice into desired size.
- Bake 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool completely on wire rack.
*For strawberry shortcake just slice up some strawberries and whip up some heavy cream.
3 thoughts on “My Favorite”
Beautiful pictures of the shortcake!!! Excited for tomorrow?!?
Mmmm totally agree – strawberry shortcakes are the best! Looks delicious!