My friend had a baby last week and she happened to have a c-section. I thought it would be a nice idea to make her some homemade goodies. I made her Italian wedding soup, snicker-doodles, and banana nut muffins. It just so happens that you can find all of these in our recipe index. Maybe you can comfort someone with your homemade favorites as well!
Well, another Thanksgiving has come and gone, and this one was pretty successful. The menu looked something like this:
- Veggies and dip
- Crackers with Blue Cheese Spread*
- Soft Pretzel Bites and mustard (recipe to come)*
- Mashed Potatoes
- Spicy Sweet Potatoes Au Gratin
- Green Beans with Caramelized Onions and Almonds*
- Steamed Broccoli*
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Mixed Greens Salad
- Cranberry Sauce*
- Sweet Potato Biscuits
- Squash rolls
- Crescent Rolls (as in Pillsbury)
Dessert (all home made):
- Pecan Pie
- Pumpkin Pie
- Apple Pie
- Maple Walnut Ice Cream
- Miso Ice Cream
* This means I made it by myself. My mom made the rest with assistance from me, and my brothers.
What was your favorite dish at the Thanksgiving feast?
Mine were the squash rolls (doughy and fabulous), and the pecan pie which was a new addition for us this year!
Raspberry Almond Cream Cheese Bars
1 c. butter, softened
3/4 c powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
2 c. flour
2/3 c. sliced almonds
1 small jar of raspberry jam
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine butter, sugar, salt and vanilla in a bowl. Add the flour and mix well. Set aside 1 cup of this mixture in a separate bowl.
2. In an ungreased 9×9 non-stick pan, pat the cookie mixture evenly on the bottom of the pan. Cook crust for 10-15 minutes and set aside.
3. In a bowl, combine softened cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk. Mix together until well blended and smooth in texture. Poor this mixture over cookie crust.
4. Mix the raspberry jam up in the jar with a tiny bit of warm water until it becomes slightly syrupy in texture. Spread raspberry jam over cream cheese mixture.
5. Add sliced almonds to the reserved 1 c. cookie mixture until combined. Crumble this over the cream cheese/raspberry swirl layer. Cook in the oven for 25- 30 minutes.