Songs I downloaded from iTunes.
- Side to Side by Ariana Grande feat. Nicki Minaj. This is a fun song for the workout mix. Ariana Grande lyrics continue to baffle me. She loves to play an innocent, giggly girl in the media, and her songs are 100% about sex. It’s weird.
- Perfect Illusion by Lady Gaga. I was really skeptical about this song because Lady Gaga’s style has changed a lot in the last couple years. It took a couple listens, but I really like this one. It just blows my mind that she went from super avant guard fashion to tee shirts and cut-off jean shorts.
- Starving by Hailee Steinfeld & Grey feat. Zedd. I’m on the fence about Hailee Steinfeld. I like some of her songs, but not all of them, and I found her character in Pitch Perfect 2 really annoying. So I’m taking her on a song by song basis. This one is a winner in my book, but at the same time it’s not fast enough for the gym but not a slow song either. Probably best for car rides.
- Starboy by The Weeknd feat. Daft Punk. I really like The Weeknd, and if you saw him on SNL you’ll notice that he ditched the cartoony hair style. He looks like a normal civilian now! This song is a perfect mix of Daft Punk and The Weeknd’s styles.
- Mack The Knife by Bobby Darin. I had a serious need for Bobby Darin the other day. Is that normal? I might have downloaded a couple of his other songs as well. He just makes me so happy, I can’t explain it.
Songs I downloaded from iTunes.
- Superlove by Tinashe. I. am. obsessed. This song is the best combination of catchy, fun, and upbeat. It’s perfect for my workout playlist! And the hair-ography in this dance video of it is unbelievable.
- Can’t Stop the Feeling by Justin Timberlake. I gave in.
- Girls Like by Tinie Tempah feat. Zara Larsson. This is a fun song to add to the workout playlist. It’s got a cool beat that makes for a fun dance video.
- No Limit by Usher feat. Young Thug. I posted previously about this video because I love it. I’ve hit a point where I’m just Usher 4 lyfe. If he puts out a new song, I like it, end of story.
- Closer by The Chainsmokers feat. Halsey. I heard this song the old fashioned way on the radio, and I think The Chainsmokers are just killing it right now.
I can waste some serious time watching music videos on YouTube, and while there’s a lot of artsy stuff going on out there, I think we can all recognize that the best videos are from the veterans. I would argue that the music video hay day was in the late 90’s, early 2000’s when TRL on MTV was a way of life. Below are three of my faves from the early 2000’s who are still killing it today. I can’t get enough.
Classic Britney with “Make Me.” I love having the scandalous story line, the same outfits that she’s been wearing for 20 years, and the dancing that is basically a series of stripper poses.
Loving J-Lo in this “Back It Up” video that’s a few months old now. Even though Prince Royce is the headliner, I think J-Lo is really in her element. I want her white dress from the video.
This new “No Limit” video from Usher is my favorite music video going right now. I love everything about it- the song, the dancing, the swagger- he’s still got it!
What are you watching?