Songs I’ve downloaded from iTunes. Usually I do five songs at a time, but I’ve been MIA and also on a little bit of a downloading spree so I needed to share my whole current playlist. Some of the links are to the music videos, and some are to choreography videos, all are fantastic. Fair warning, there are some risqué lyrics.
songs I downloaded from iTunes. (it’s been a while, let’s get back on the wagon!)
1. Should’ve Been Us by Tori Kelly. At first I thought Tori Kelly was just a younger version of Natasha Bettingfield because she sounds like her in her first single “Nobody Love.” But now I’m thinking that was because of the melody of the song. “Should’ve Been Us” never gets old for me, I’ve been playing it very consistently for weeks and I still love it.
2. House Party by Sam Hunt. At first this song annoyed me a little, but then I gave in. I think it’s actually really funny and I love the chorus. It’s a great country summer song!
3. Back It Up by Prince Royce feat. Pitbull and J.Lo. Come on, how do you say know to Prince Royce, Pitbull, and J.Lo. The song is very catchy, and the video is super cute. It’s a great pop summer song.
4. Tonight Belongs to You by Jeremih feat. FloRida. This song kept coming up on my Pandora and I kept liking it a little more every time I heard it. It’s on my workout mix, and I think it’s just a nice middle ground between EDM, R&B, and rap.
5. Marvin Gaye by Charlie Puth feat. Meghan Trainor. At first I really didn’t like the stupid lyrics in this song, but I got over that because Charlie Puth is just too cute. The video is actually pretty funny.
Last weekend I ran the Richmond half marathon, which was my third half marathon ever. It was a lot of fun! I got to spend some time with great friends, and had a great run! Turns out I just keep getting faster! My first half marathon was the 2012 Richmond half and I finished in 2:04. Then in February of 2013 I finished the Colonial half marathon in Williamsburg, VA in 2:02. Last weekend my goal was to break the 2 hour barrier, but my expectations were low because I really only ran once, maybe twice a week this fall. I did a lot of cross training, but I didn’t think it was enough to improve my time.
On Saturday it only took me 1 hour and 57 minutes to run 13.1 miles! I was so excited!
I had a terrible night’s sleep the night before, and I wasn’t feeling particularly well. But I took a few tylenol and suited up with the expectation to try my best. Once I started running I actually felt great! I was running pretty fast (for me) and I just kept pushing because it felt good. Here’s how the race played out in terms of splits and some of the songs I remember that came up on my shuffle.
1: 9:20- Weaving through the crowd at the start. Lips are Movin by Meghan Trainor- I got this at the beginning and towards the last couple miles.
2: 9:01- Found my pace. Irreplaceable by Beyonce- This was a short uphill. Beyonce=motivation.
3: 8:58- Gold Digger by Kanye West feat. Jamie Foxx- This one got me through mile 3, and reminded me of senior year of college!
4: 8:55- So Emotional (David Morales mix) by Whitney Houston kept me moving.
5: 8:57- Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepson came on- It’s a classic.
6: 9:06- I think this was a little uphill. Stutter by Marianas Trench got me through.
8: 9:14- This is a rough mile (for me at least) because you’ve run 8 and you still have 5 more. You need to refresh that motivation! Rich Girls by Down With Webster definitely made me laugh on the inside at this point.
9: 8:50 This was when I really decided I could push it and make sure the tank was completely empty at 13. Amazing by Kanye West feat. Young Jeezy came on, I think I listened to this 3 times in a row in mile 9.