When a great new song comes out I have a bad habit of listening to it non-stop for days or weeks at a time until I get completely sick of it. Every single time I think to myself- there will never be a new song as good as this one. These are the songs that made me feel that way in 2015:
I will caveat this list by saying these are not necessarily the most beautiful or profound songs of the year (i.e. Adele isn’t on the list). But these songs got me through my daily commute, some very long drives, and about 300 workouts, and that’s all I need.
Going for a run outside in the hot weather takes a certain kind of motivation. Here are some of the songs that are helping me get through those sweaty miles:
- Want to Want Me by Jason Derulo
- Hideaway by Kiesza
- Back It Up by Prince Royce feat. JLo and Pitbull (cute video)
- House Party by Sam Hunt
- Should’ve Been Us by Tori Kelly
- Fight Song by Rachel Platten
- Post To Be by Omarion feat. Chris Brown and Jhene Aiko
- Where are You Now by Skrillex and Diplo feat. Justin Beiber
- I Don’t Like it, I Love it by FloRida feat. Robin Thicke and Verdine White
- Shut Up and Dance by Walk the Moon
- Geronimo by Sheppard
- Somebody by Natalie La Rose feat. Jeremih (good dance video!)
- Honey I’m Good by Andy Grammar
- Tonight Belongs to You by Jeremih feat. FloRida
- Bad Blood by Taylor Swift feat. Kendrick Lamar (star studded video!)
- Black Magic by Little Mix
- Drag Me Down by One Direction
- Hold My Hand by Jess Glynne
- Do It Again by Pia Mia feat. Chris Brown and Tyga
- Hide Away by Daya
Happy Running! Don’t forget to hydrate!
PS- These are my latest running gear purchase. I’ve had them for about a month and I’m loving them so far. So glad I’m back to New Balance sneaks!
Songs I downloaded from iTunes in 2013
1. I Love It by Icona Pop. Because, I don’t care, I love it!
2. Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke, T.I., and Pharrell Williams. This song had some highs and lows this year, and a little extra scandalous media attention. It doesn’t matter though, because it’s still a great song.
3. Dance With Me Tonight by Olly Murs. Such a fun retro sound. I think I listened to it about 7,439 times this year.
4. Do What You Want by Lady Gaga, feat. R. Kelly. I could listen to this song on repeat for an entire 10 mile run in 25 degree weather and I’m pretty sure I would be happy as a clam with crazy fast splits. Sometimes Lady Gaga has been a little too abstract for me in the past year, but not on this one.
5. I Would by One Direction. I limited myself to one 1D song for this list, and this has to be it. It is, hands down, the cutest.
Bonus Track: I just downloaded Replay by Zendaya. Coincidentally, I’ve been replaying it quite a bit in the last week. And since Zendaya is really from Shake It Up on the Disney Channel, the video is a straight up, old school, dance video. No weird narrative, just dancing in various sets with different outfits. AKA: awesome.
Here’s to more great music in 2014!