So I’m not sure about you, but I keep stumbling upon pictures of Miley Cyrus out and about everywhere. Miley is obviously a celebrity at this point, but I’m not 100% why. She earned her celebrity status in a traditional manner through nepotism and a television show, but what has she done lately?
Though she’s young and I’m sure she has a lot ahead of her in her career, right now she reminds me a little of people like Jessica Simpson. Yes she was a popular singer at one point. Yes she successfully transformed that into several brands and business ventures. Why exactly do the paparazzi follow her around now?
Anywho, confusion aside, Miley has recently been happy to endorse the option of going gluten-free. I find this option extremely appealing, but seemingly impossible to practice. While I do believe it would be beneficial to my digestive system, I would hate to put what seems like an extreme amount of effort into meal planning. Especially since I don’t feel I have severe medical reasons for doing so.
Flourless Double Chocolate Pecan Cookies (Gluten Free)
Yields about 12 depending on size
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 oz. chopped bittersweet baking chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (I also saw a version in her magazine with macadamia nuts)
- 4 egg whites (room temp, FYI baking with egg whites only works with real eggs, not egg whites from a carton)
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Combine sugar, cocoa, salt, chocolate, and pecans. Stir until mixture is uniform.
- Add egg whites to mixture and stir to make sure mixture is wet throughout, but try not to over mix.
- Drop dough as flat discs on parchment lined baking sheets. The cookies will expand slightly in the oven. Bake for 25 minutes. The cookies will look dry and cracked when they’re done.
I enjoyed these because they an intense chocolate flavor and because of the egg whites they have a meringue-like consistency to them.