I love a good biscotti! Remember how I was making a few cookie trays for that “coffee break” at school a couple weeks ago? Well I thought a good way to add chocolate to the tray would be in the way of a biscotti. I looked around at a few of my favorite recipe sites and found a good double chocolate walnut biscotti that fit the bill on Epicurious.com. I’ve found good biscotti recipes there in the past.
Since I was trying a new recipe I was a little worried. Especially because the dough was a little more crumbly than I was expecting. Even though the dough was crumbly, I was able to form it into logs and it baked quite well. So it was a testament to keeping the faith and following through.
These biscotti were a great chocolate flavor with a nice walnut crunch. The next time I make them I might add a little instant coffee or espresso powder (I didn’t have any in my cupboard at the time). Coffee always intensifies the chocolate flavor a little bit.
Double Chocolate Walnut Biscotti
Make about 30 small biscotti, adapted from Epicurious.com
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 stick (6 Tbs) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- In a different bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla.
- Gradually add the flour mixture into the wet mixture. This is when the dough might be kind of dry and crumbly. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Form the dough into two logs on a parchment lined cookie sheet. The logs should be kind of flattened on top and about two inches wide. Bake for 35 minutes until logs are pretty solid.
- Allow the biscotti to cool for about five minutes, then slice on a diagonal about 3/4 of an inch thick. Lay the slices on the cookie sheet cut side up. Bake for 10 more minutes. Allow to cool completely.